Saturday, June 26, 2010

Making us fit to serve

When undergoing God's chastening,
often think of what a friend of my parents --
a Marine who served in the Pacific in WWII --
once told them about basic training:
"Nothing the enemy can do to us
is going to be worse than this!"
(Of course, little did these young men know.)
But Frank's words have been helpful to me
when I didn't know why the conditioning
at His hand had to be so tough.
Maturing in the Christian warfare
has helped me see the world doesn't
look to the weak, the untested, the uncommitted
when it needs encouragement to keep going.
Those who have it easy, who have never
developed their spiritual mettle do not inspire;
those who run away when the fighting's tough
are not those we turn to;
those who quit the field of battle,
saying "I've had enough!"
So, I am learning to welcome the
rigors of His basic training to be
a better soldier of Jesus Christ,
which I desire more than all the world.

God sometimes has to remind me,
"I have not brought you through
just so you can take up space,
but that you may help others face
whatever they may be encountering;
hold their hand till they're
confident freedom will come."

What a holy work is given
to us servants of the Lord!
So, herein my prayer for each day:
let not one opportunity get by me
to feel another's need,
but let me go out of my way
to show them Christ's power,
and help them on to victory --
not for anything I may gain,
but simply for dear Jesus' sake.
The indescribable joy that comes
from serving our Commander in Chief.
And yes, being found worthy
to be conditioned therefor.