Thursday, June 17, 2010

God the only cause

Mary Baker Eddy, who discovered and founded Christian Science, writes: "Physical causation was put aside from first to last by this original man, Jesus. He knew that the divine Principle, Love, creates and governs all this is real." (Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures, page 286)

Many have been the times that this truth has come to my aid when faced with difficulties of one kind or the other. And recently, I noticed some physical condition that seemed like it might be poison ivy. Or something akin to it. But I hadn't been anywhere near the plant.

I quickly turned aside from trying to find a material cause for this problem. The quote I began this blog post with came to mind, and gave me a spiritual basis for my praying. I worked metaphysically along the lines that God, divine Love, wouldn't afflict His child, indeed, that He knows nothing of matter or material conditions at all. I kept realizing man's spiritual likeness to God as His image and likeness which the first chapter of the Bible brings out. It wasn't long at all until the bodily evidence was gone.

I was so grateful to be student of Christian Science which yet again, brought me healing.