Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Taking up the cross

Just read in my morning review of the Master's words marked in red in one of my Bibles this statement: "He that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me." This is from Matthew 10:38. And this ties in with something I'm giving deeper thought to because of a comment a friend in New York state just made to a poem I posted earlier today. Her, along with so many others, heartfelt commitment to Christ Jesus really moves me. She said, on the subject of Jesus' words above, that most mainline churches today no longer bring up the cross at all! Just isn't popular to demand anything of their attendees. Nominal Christians don't want to hear about sacrifice/giving their all to Christ/following in his footsteps. Too much work required, too much selflessness to even think of doing this. So many only want a feel-good, promise people instant wealth and success (even health without doing a thing themselves) religion. Of course, this is not the Christianity Jesus left us.

So what have I arrived at from all the thinking I've been doing? That we are not really Christ's until we are willing, yea, even eager, to pick up whatever our cross happens to be, and carry it all the way. To be joyful about going the whole distance. It seems clear to me one who reaches this point--and it is a sublime one-- is on ground the safest, ground most holy, ground that takes him very near to things divine.

And to conclude, came across a statement made by Mary Baker Eddy in First Church of Christ, Scientist, and Miscellany, page l66 where she says: "Life's ills are our chief recompense; they develop hidden strenth." You may be thinking, how could she write this?! How can you endorse it?! Because I do feel accepting this premise, and grasping what is being said here, is essential if we're to be real followers of Christ. Too many churches are anemic, not attractive to people any longer. They offer nothing people can't get from the world. So, in a sense, they are irrelevant, dead above ground. Churches no longer offer what can only be achieved as one hears about the cross and is willing to take it up--eagerly, joyfully.