Tuesday, October 14, 2008

It takes Christ Jesus and Christian Science

Having taken as my text for this blog the following statements from Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures by Mary Baker Eddy, here goes something very important to me. In fact, it is the impetus for this blog I've started. And I'll no doubt be re-visiting this topic time and again.

First, from page 269: "The testimony of the material senses is neither absolute nor divine. I therefore plant myself unreservedly on the teachings of Jesus, of his apostles, of the prophets, and on the testimony of the Science of Mind. Other foundations there are none. All other systems -- systems based wholly or partly on knowledge gained through the material senses -- are reeds shaken by the wind, not houses built on the rock."

And from page 569: "Alas for those who break faith with divine Science and fail to strangle the serpent of sin as well as of sickness! They are in the surging sea of error, not struggling to lift their heads above the drowning wave."

Having had many a discussion with Christians who love Christ Jesus but know nothing of Christian Science, and on the other hand, with Christian Scientists who are trying to live with Christ Jesus a footnote to their lives, it is my conviction that one must have both. To try to get along with only one or the other, is fatal to understanding God and having dominion over evil. It just cannot be done. And it is not being done in too many sad instances.

Regarding the first quotation above, I recall one Wednesday evening testimony meeting at the Wellesley, MA church when I gave a testimony, quoted most of that statement, inadvertently left out "the testimony of the Science of Mind" whereupon a wonderful practitioner rose and said in a loving and gentle way, "let me add to the good lady's remarks the last part of that quotation. " And then, he gave a wonderful testimony as to the power of Christian Science.
I was glad he corrected me. And it reinforces what I'm driving at, that one must have the full package, Christ Jesus and Christian Science for spiritual progress and well-being.

I've had oh so many talks with Christians on the subject of religion, and recall one when we were moving down South. The mover, a devout Baptist, saw a painting of Daniel in the Lions Den over my desk which opened a most inspiring conversation. Finally, he asked, are all members of your church as reverent toward Christ Jesus as you are? I had to answer, unfortunately they are not. And this in my view is the reason for the stagnation, the deadness in too many churches and lives today.

And this, too, reinforces why I say, and Mrs. Eddy knew and founded her Church to reinstate Jesus' words and works, that Christian Scientists cannot make the grade, cannot have the joy and peace and rightness with God they should be enjoying if they think Jesus is obsolete. Shocking that many think so? It is to me. But with more than one patient I've helped who have told me, "I have never once felt close to God", (and you think there is not an unsettling thing to hear!) it is clear to me that the problem is absence of love for Christ Jesus in their hearts and thoughts. Just reading great articles, listening to splendid lectures, taking class instruction, being brought up in Christian Science--the whole nine yards--is not all that is required. It takes living the Word, having Jesus' teachings at the core of one's life. And without this love for Christ as well as Christian Science, how can they experience God's blessings? They can't. No one can. Why would one expect God to look favorably on someone who has no reverence for His holy child?

I well realize this is not popular to point out, but if you and I are not boldly standing up for Christ and Christian Science, what are we taking up space for?!