Thursday, August 23, 2012

Guest Column (Elizabeth)




It might be helpful to readers of this blog, who may know that Christian Scientists rely on God for healing of their physical ills, to learn that not all individuals come to this religion for healing.

Such was my case. I was a working member of another Protestant denomination, but was not finding basic answers to spiritual issues. I didn't feel I knew God well enough, despite all my efforts to study the Bible and do what I felt a good Christian lady should be doing.

Well, one day while I was in college, happened to get to know a girl who had something different. It wasn't was she talked about; it was the way she conducted her life. One day we got into a deep conversation about religion, and this girl mentioned that she was a student of Christian Science. I hadn't heard of it, but was interested to learn just what it taught. This person who turned out to be my closest friend in life said that if I got a copy of Mary Baker Eddy's book, "Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures", this would explain much to me. I did so, and began reading. To my surprise, I learned things about God and His laws and my relationship to Him that thrilled me. So helped was I, that I eventually left my church and became a member of the Christian Science church.

Later, I took a teaching assignment in Hawaii and while there, felt called to enter the full-time public practice of Christian Science. I yearned to help others find the enlightenment (yes, and physical healings) that I had found through my study and pondering and applying divine truths to daily problems.

Mrs. Eddy points out in her book that "Christian Science brings God much nearer to man, and makes Him better known as the All-in-all, forever near." It certainly has done this for me.