Thursday, May 12, 2011

Why We Exist

While driving along just now, I recalled some words of Mary Baker Eddy's which tie right in with the blog post I did earlier, and thought I'd share it with you readers.

In a letter to the First Church of Christ, Scientist, New York, she wrote:  "Goodness never fails to receive its reward, for goodness makes life a blessing.  As an active portion of one stupendous whole, goodness identifies man with universal good.  Thus may each member of this church rise above the oft-repeated inquiry, What am I?  to the scientific response:  I am able to impart truth, health, and happiness, and this is my rock of salvation and my reason for existing."  (First Church of Christ, Scientist, and Miscellany, p. 165)

This statement applies to not just church members, in my view, but to all who would like to adopt a noble reason for existing.  And our dear Master, Christ Jesus, left no doubt what was expected of his followers, in his time and in ours.  That is, of course, to love God supremely and to show our love for Him in our love for others.  In sum, to do all the good we can do in this world.