Thursday, May 12, 2011

The Power of Gratitude

When the latest catastrophe,
Or the news, or who-knows-what
Begins to get me down,
I thank God and my joy
Starts to rebound.

Nothing cures depression,
Nothing lifts me back up
I have often found
Like thanking Him
For everything around.

Such is the power of gratitude.
And before I know it,
By expressing gratitude,
I find very soon,
A whole new attitude.

Giving way to thanks giving
Makes the day feel right;
This makes the day much brighter;
Lifts at once mental darkness,
Makes my step much lighter.

And more -- expressing gratitude
Is naturally infectious,
Reaches others I have found;
Helps and gets someone
Else's chin up off the ground.

No wonder Jesus commended
That leper of the ten he healed--
That obviously thankful one
Who came back to give God thanks
For all that He had done.

So, whenever I feel tempted
To let life get me down;
Whenever I feel a trifle blue,
I'll thank our loving Father,
Which is only His due.