Friday, September 10, 2010

The Lord's Prayer--Powerful! (From Lindy)

A month or so ago I was waiting in my veterinarian's office while one of my dogs was getting a required annual shot. That office was rocking with people, their dogs and cats, their kids, and staff members--it was wild.

I was trying to pray for a family member who appeared to be seriously ill and wanted my prayerful help. I couldn't seem to focus for more than a few seconds before I would become distracted by everything that was going on around me. I felt the need to pray but how to do it? It came to me to pray the Lord's Prayer, which our Master, Christ Jesus gave us. I knew I could focus on the Lord's Prayer, because it was so familiar to me. Mrs. Eddy tells us in her great work, Science and Health, that it is the prayer that covers all human needs, and instantaneously heals the sick. So slowly, thinking about each line, keeping my eyes closed, I began to pray. I especially love the Lord's Prayer because when you pray, you are not only praying for yourself, but for all mankind. The prayer starts, Our Father, not My Father!

I was in my third repetition when I heard a huge crash! I opened my eyes and to my surprise, I was totally alone in the waiting room. The crash was a two car accident on the street right outside. Two little girls, who had been playing on the sidewalk while waiting for the folks inside the vet's, ran inside crying. I was able to comfort them and lead them to the room where their parents were located. I alerted the staff to call 911. A young man entered the office, who had observed the accident, saying everyone involved in the accident was fine. He volunteered to wait outside for the police and direct traffic. The state police showed up within minutes, even though the vet was located out in the country. If ever you could call an accident gentle and harmonious, this was it. I was so grateful I was praying right when the accident occurred, and that I was praying the prayer that meets all human needs. Oh and my family member?-- she was quickly healed within days.

I am so grateful for the healing Christ, and the insight and understanding Mary Baker Eddy provides us in her writings.