Sunday, September 12, 2010

An Excellent Column

I would like to share some thoughts on an excellent column I just read in the New York Times. It is by Thomas L. Friedman, and his concluding sentence is worth quoting I feel. "Right now the Hindus and Confucians have more Protestant ethics than we do, and as long as that is the case we'll be no 11!"

His piece talks about far too many Americans not wanting to do the work required to excel, only wanting the past few years to have it easy, get the rewards without expending the effort required. And sadly, our country now being rated in 11th place in the world.

This naturally made me think of my religion and something its Discoverer and Founder, Mary Baker Eddy, writes in Message to The Mother Church for 1900: "The song of Christian Science is, 'Work -- work -- work -- watch and pray.'

I am glad that this is so, that what I believe and live by does take a lot of work. And along with other students of Christian Science, have learned to start the day with "work" -- that is to say, prayerful affirmation of God's control of all things, that He goes with me in everything I do, that I am in fact His spiritual image and likeness, maintained by His divine laws. These are just some of the truths I like to get clear before anything else comes up. There are an infinite number of ways and things we can pray-- "work' to establish about ourselves and others.

Is doing what our great Master commanded demanding? Absolutely. Is working in Christian Science a serious business? Absolutely. It is essential if we're to keep on upward wing, pleasing God as we should.

However, it is mental activity that is refreshing/strengthening/uplifting. I recall when just a new practitioner and praying for a lady who was having a baby, a wonderful lesson I learned. Oh was I working up a storm. The husband kept calling me as things went along. It seemed they were not going as well as expected. I redoubled my praying. Finally, I was about to wear myself out. It was then that I called upon my teacher in Christian Science and related my experience. She listened, then almost chuckled, "My dear, let Christ do the work"! Almost at once, the husband phoned that the baby was here and all was well.

I've never forgotten this excellent counsel, and of course, just after she said this, realized that the truths I was knowing, "working" with, had the healing power--not I per se. It was all-powerful Christ, Truth that carries the day and restores harmony to whatever is the challenge. This has helped me so many times and perhaps it will be freeing for someone else who happens to read this blog.

Have a lovely day!