Thursday, October 1, 2009

From Whence Nature's Beauty?

Some time ago a friend here in Tennessee asked if I would take a look at some of his poems.  Which I agreed to do.  One in particular extolling the glories of the nature scene that had inspired him had this thought:  what was the cause of such beauty?  He didn't know, but it gave me an opportunity to gently bring our Creator into the picture.  I trust my notations opened thinking to a larger view of the question.

Of course, people can admire the loveliness they see around them every day and never give God a nod.  But for those of us who cannot go for a walk, see a stunning sunrise or sunset, look up at the starry heavens, marvel at the changing seasons, rake colorful autumn leaves, or in my case, hike in the Great Smokey Mountains without feeling a sense of awe, the Father of all things is always in the picture for us.

As well He should be.  One could give verse after verse from the Holy Bible connecting God to the glorious gifts we see all around us.  And I personally feel that He should be given the credit for such bounty.  Even the soft, cool breeze we had here yesterday conveyed Him to me.  I could feel His presence all around.

The woman who discovered and founded my religion, Christian Science, has this interesting statement from her book, Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures", page 477:  "The Indians caught some glimpses of the underlying reality, when they called a certain beautiful lake 'the smile of the Great Spirit.'"

As one of Elvis Presley's gospel songs points out, how can any one view a gorgeous sunset and think there is no God?