Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Our Oneness with God

All of us who love and revere Christ Jesus probably have those of his sayings that stand out to us.  I know I do.  And being a student of the religion that reiterates the great Teacher's words and words, there are statements in Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures by Mary Baker Eddy that really light me up.

One such is this:  "Jesus of Nazareth taught and demonstrated man's oneness with the Father, and for this we owe him endless homage."  (page 18) 

This was illustrated to me in a homely incident one day.  I was sitting at a window, looking out on some woods, when I happened to catch a glimpse of a ring in the reflection.  Two were appearing in the glass, yet I knew there was only one there.  This led to much pondering, and it caused me to think more deeply about what that statement I mentioned above.

Then, I recalled something a dear friend in Australia used to say.  He was an ardent student of Christian Science, a poet and sculptor who had served His Majesty's government during WWII.  He said the key thing he held to during the fierce battles was this truth:  God and I are not two, but one, and that one is Him.  I've never forgotten this.  And not surprising, it has blessed me more than once when challenges have arisen that would make me think I'm separated from God.  (Which of course you and I  actually are not.)

This is a topic that will keep unfolding, but what it may be worth to some of you out there in the world, I give it.  To go around believing--erroneously--that yes God is Spirit and All; I believe I'm made in His image, am His child yet am a material being cut off from Him, just will not cut it.  One must come to see what Jesus knew about man's oneness with the Father.  And God be thanked, anyone can.