Thursday, December 11, 2008

Losing fear of loss

In an earlier posting, I said the theme of turning back to God might well be one I would return to time and again, and in a way, this one fills the bill. Feeling awash in gratitude this morning for the infinite number of priceless raindrops--like diamonds to me--in Tennessee which still needs God's largess in this area. want to put down some thoughts about the pervasive fear of loss too many have right now.

Not surprisingly, am hearing from folks across a wide spectrum about the economy, from those in despair all the way to people sober and realizing they need perhaps to be more wise in their spending habits. Those at the panicky end of things, who have already lost a job and are understandably worrried, to those who have been through the wilderness and have learned to look to God alone for good, these comments center on Him as the Giver of all good. It is a hard lesson to learn, turning away from dependence on people, positions, stocks, bonds--you name it. But it does come sooner or later, and it looks like millions are being given the opportunity in these times. Some will be receptive to what I share, and the comments you are inspired to make to help them out.

I can never be grateful enough to God for the words and works of our blessed Master, Christ Jesus, who never relied on anything or anyone but his loving Father, and who said plainly: "Ye cannot serve God and mammon." (Sermon on the Mount) And for the teachings of Christian Science, replete with wonderfully strengthening statements of divine truths that have lifted me out of fear of losing something good many times in my life.

In my spiritual journey over many years from turning to a clinging dependence on others, and always thinking, what if so and so doesn't come through, what if I lose this job, to absolutely knowing beyond a doubt that my well-being is in God's hands--bar no human circumstance whatever--I can tell anyone that it can be done. If God, Who is no respecter of persons and is the same loving Father yesterday, today, and forever can do this for me, He can do the same for anyone willing to knuckle down metaphysically and rise to the spiritual level required. The benefits in joy and peace of mind and plenty to bless others with, make the work required well worth it.

Our next-door neighbor said yesterday, if I had one dollar for every leaf I've raked, I'd be rich. One could not count autumn leaves in just one season. Likewise, God's supply is beyond counting, as are the channels He has for directing good to us. I've often thought, if there were not infinite avenues available for His supply to reach us, He could make new ones in an instant.

Probably will come back to this blog and refine, or add thoughts as they come. But I know many of you will want to make your needed contribution in comments, and I look forward to reading what you have to share. Thanks ahead of time, my friends!