Monday, November 11, 2013

How's the Tone of Your Voice?




        Every now and then I think of a lady I know, a Christian Science practitioner, who once shared something of value--certainly to me, and I hope to you. 

        She was taking care of her mother who required almost constant attention, and this at times caused the need for extra patience.  One of my friend's favorite quotations from the Bible is this:  "Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, my strength and my redeemer."  This is found in Psalms 19:14  And she learned to add, "And the tone of my voice."  It occured to her one day that that an impatient, frustrated, unkind tone of voice could hardly be acceptable to our loving Father, and that giving way to the same was something that needed prayerful work on her part.

        This was quite impressive to me, and it has continued to be a reminder to me to watch my own tone of voice in everyday circumstances.