Saturday, June 8, 2013

"Feed My Lambs" Jesus said



It wasn't a little lamb looking back at me as I opened the door to the garage to put out trash, but a little masked creature, very, very hungry.  It (a mother with young to feed?) had been drawn in by the bag of dog food, some of which we pile near the edge of our woods for wildlife that visit during the night. With ever shrinking habitat, this happens with woodland creatures more and more we're finding.

It ran off when it saw me.  Though still daylight, I put some food near the woods.  Soon this darling thing came back and fell upon the food.  As satisfying as this was, in its way, to feed an animal in need, I couldn't help thinking about nourishment of another kind -- spiritual nourishment that so many are starved for (though they may know it not) -- the life-giving Word of God. 

What a privilege it is for you and me to be doing what we can to be carrying out our Master's solemn charge to Peter.  What a pure joy!