Monday, May 28, 2012

Our health depends on it

On what, you may ask?  Upon making sure we keep the love flowing.  And by love, I mean that which God is, which He is continuously pouring out on us, and demands that we express to others.

Life has taught me that we who follow Christ, who reverence the Name, can't allow the shame of feeling less than love for our fellowman.  To be lacking this is deadly serious, I have found--not just a blip on the divine screen.  And it needs to be gotten at as quickly as possible.

Awhile back I happened to read something from one of my favorite writers on Christian Science, Samuel Greenwood, and this made a huge impression on me.  He said that in his many years of being in the public practice of Christian Science and helping countless people, it was lack of feeling love for others, lack of feeling God's love for themselves, that was the root of the physical problems they were facing.  I've come to see how right on this is.

One day I mentioned to a friend in Christ who lives in Scotland how many diseases are caused by lack of Christly love, and without a moment's thought,he said "All".  I was pleased to see such insight from this man, who isn't an adherent of my religion.

Beyond making us ill, the worst thing about not reflecting God's love (which is blatant disobedience to His commands, after all) is a sense of estrangement from Him.  Not that He ever stops caring about us, but our Father Who is all Love as Mary Baker Eddy points out is not going to follow us off into momentary resentment or ill will toward others, is He?  While indulging these devilish states of thought, we've cut ourselves off from Him, from all that makes life what it should be.

We need to keep our connection to divine Love.  With the armor of the Word, and no-fooling praying, we all can.  The rewards are tremendous.  1 John 4:16 puts it plainly: "God is love; and he that dwelleth in love, dwelleth in God, and God in him."