Saturday, July 16, 2011

Why pay a practitioner?

This question comes up in the work I do.  And it might be helpful to my readers to address this.

As this blog reaches far and wide, I get requests for Christian Science treatment, from those who know next to thing about my religion.  And in some cases, what the individual is looking for (not to put too fine a point on it) is something for nothing.  It can come as a surprise to such a one that a practitioner expects some payment, and should receive something for the metaphysical work they do.  It's almost as though a person is saying, I don't really respect what you do, but if you can throw a little prayer at my problem, fine and dandy.  Meanwhile, I won't even crack the Christian Science textbook (which one who is serious about help should be more than willing to obtain and work with.)

The woman who founded and discovered Christian Science said that she had found that those who were willing to pay what they could afford, experienced better results from the treatment they were getting. 

I, too, have found this.  When I first began in the public practice of Christian Science, I wanted to help any and every one who wandered by.  But experience and spiritual growth showed me this wasn't right--for the individual nor for me.  Of course, what I'm engaged in is not to make money.  Many are the individuals for whom I have reduced my charges, often halving them, more than once waiving them altogether.  But I do expect someone on the other end to be serious about the treatment they are requesting.

In a book titled "Prose Works", Mrs. Eddy states:  "Metaphysical healing, or Christian Science, is a demand of the times.  Every man or woman would desire and demand it, if he or she knew its infinite value and firm basis."  Miscellaneous Writings, page 232

Amen to this, from someone who knew whereof she spoke.