Friday, July 22, 2011

And angels smile

My husband comes from the pet food store with tears in his eyes. "A pitiful little dog is at the adoption center, and desperately needs God's love", he tells me.  Not thinking about getting another dog, his words hang in the air.  But not too long after, I drive over to the store to take a look.

There the dog is, dirty, almost starved, shaking with fear -- the light of hope nearly gone from her eyes.  (Folks at the Oak Ridge, Tennessee Humane Society rescued her, and they think her former owner or owners left her by the side of the road to die.  Which she almost did.)  I pick her up gently, cradle her in my lap, and begin filling out adoption forms.

And angels smile.

The young man who helped me with the paper work, asks with moist eyes, "May I carry her to your car?", so glad is he that someone was taking her home, as she probably had only a few more days to live.

This little trooper, so thin she can scarcely stand up, amazes us by actually climbing our back stairs to look around her new home.  A careful, warm, soapy cleaning comes next, then a bit of food for her.  That night, I decide to make her a little bed by my side of the bed, in case she needs comforting in the night.  Several old blankets piled up, covered over with a soft, clean sheet does the job, for the best night's sleep this little girl has probably had.  The glow of Love divine surrounds us all.

And angels smile.