Thursday, December 2, 2010

God the Only Power

Had an interesting discussion Monday with a neighbor who has been studying Christian Science. This girl was brought up a Baptist and still attends a church of that faith from time to time. She finds the preacher to be quite compelling and likes what he has to say. However, as she has gotten more deeply into what the Discoverer and Founder of Christian Science teaches, which she feels has transformed her life and brought many healings, she has had many questions and at times, not a little mental stirring.

The latest thing she wanted to talk about was hearing on one hand that Satan has all power and has to be battled all the time, and then learning from what Mary Baker Eddy brings out, that God is the only power and has it all.

Realizing that she will eventually have to settle this conflict in her thinking, and as help in that direction, got Prose Works, a compilation of Mrs. Eddy's writings other than Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures. The following is from "Unity of Good", pages 9 and 10 which I read aloud to my friend. "What is the cardinal point of the difference in my metaphysical system? This: that by knowing the unreality of disease, sin, and death, you demonstrate the allness of God. This difference wholly separates my system from all others. The reality of these so-called existences I deny, because they are not to be found in God, and this system is built on Him as the sole cause. It would be difficult to name any previous teachers, save Jesus and his apostles, who have thus taught."

I could see these words were sinking in, and as I saw her to the door, could see she would be turning them over in her thought.

How many times have I experienced God's supreme power by understanding that He alone is present and all-powerful, and that what was challenging me had no cause or power or place in His kingdom -- the only kingdom there is -- nor any right to prevail over me. In sum, that it was unreal.