Thursday, April 15, 2010

What it takes to be free

"Do you want to be free?" is a question asked of me when I phoned a Christian Science practitioner for help some years ago. I had been having a lot of grief from a fellow employee who sat across from me when I worked for The Christian Science Monitor. This woman I felt sure got up in the morning with the sole thought of making my life miserable. I was having physical challenges from all the disturbance and I needed help fast.

After pouring out how badly I was being treated, what the woman said to me after I replied, "Well, of of course, I want to be free." (This is why I'm calling you, I thought to myself. What a silly question!)

She was silent for awhile, then said something that floored me. "Well then, you will have to love." I couldn't say a thing for some moments, so surprised was I that she didn't take my side of things. I was clearly in the right, wasn't I? But respecting this woman's spiritual-mindedness and long experience with helping others, I hung up the phone and resolved to work on my state of thought. Was it easy or quick? Certainly not. But in time, my tormentor and I became good friends. And I actually was sorry to see her retire.

I have often thought of this--this need for us all to love as Jesus loved. What else will please our heavenly Father Who after all, is all love, all the time. Love is such a force. Nothing can withstand its power. And what it does for us in the way of harmony and peace of mind and good health cannot be exaggerated, I am finding.

So, whatever we're facing in life, let us love. Then love some more!