Monday, March 8, 2010

Remaining Christlike--No Matter What

Was just talking to a dear friend who lives in Tucson, Arizona and we were quite struck by that Wall Street Journal article I put on my last blog about the son of the Hamas leader who found Christ through a copy of the New Testament a British cabbie gave him. Anyway, we both wondered, since this man probably has to fear for his life so ostracized is he for converting to Christianity, would we take that stand for what we believe. We agreed probably wouldn't have any choice and would have to take whatever came along.

This conversation led me to recall something so uplifting to me which I read about the Founder of the Methodist denomination, John Wesley when he was preaching outdoors in England to help bring more Christliness to the Church of England. This one day the crowd became unruly because of a few rowdy troublemakers and one person picked up a brick. This struck Wesley in the head and knocked him cold. His brother was there and helped him up when he regained consciousness. And this is the sublime part: this gentle, little man did not retaliate, did not lose his Christly composure, stayed sweet and loving through it all. Several eye-witnesses testified to how Wesley automatically behaved at this provocation. I marvel at this to this day and must admit I would not be up to this level. Probably not in this life at least. But what an example of living the love our great Master, Jesus, lived and enjoined upon all his followers.

God is so good to us to give us such examples!

(Oh, I told a lady I see sometimes at my breakfast place who sits there and reads the Bible about the Wall Street Journal piece and she was thrilled to hear that Christ has gained another follower.)