Tuesday, May 19, 2009

A Poem for May

"Illumination"


(c) By: Sharon Slaton Howell



Candy-pink roses blow in cool breeze,

Care-free birds dart in and out of hedges,

Someone mows his lawn in the distance.

Of all the May delights that confront me

As I sit here on stone garden bench,

It's setting-sun rays that get me most --

Light shines on forest floor,

Light plays on trunks of trees,

Light glints off rusting wire fence

A farmer put up long before we moved in.

But there's a thought much higher

Than enchanting light of earth --

It's something Christ Jesus once said:

"I am the light of the world; he that

Followeth after me shall not walk in darkness,

But shall have the light of life."

(John 8:12)

The beauty of this Light

Can never fade to black.

It's presence and its power

Followers of His can never lack.