Thursday, April 16, 2009

Thinking about Energy...

...not this moment conserving it, which is vital to our planet, but expressing more of it in our everyday lives. Two comments have come recently that have caused me to ponder, whence our strength for life's work? Was in Walmart and a greeter said, "I've seen you before. If I just had half your energy". This was a surprise, but then recalled earlier a friend said, "You have the energy of a 20-year old." This was amazing, since according to human calculation, I clearly am not that age. Then she added, "It must be in your genes." To myself, I said, Oh no, it is due to what my religion is teaching me about the source of energy and agelessness and what we need to manifest to be about His work.

There was a remarkable Christian Science practitioner we knew when we lived in Wellesley, MA and this man was an unending source of inspiration to so many of us. Some of you readers will know to whom I am referring. Anyway, his demonstration of radiant energy and optimism (in a right sense) and activity was a marvel to witness. One day we were in the parking lot of the church and he was off some way away. My first thought was, who is that college kid new to our church? Then I realized who it was. I'm not making this up. His posture and whole demeanor bespoke such dominion over human beliefs of slowing down, gloomy thoughts, debililty--you name it. Clearly, this student of Christian Science understood to a great degree that man is entirely spiritual and thus exempt from mortal beliefs of time and ageing.

Now for those who will tune in to this blog and hear about Christian Science for the first time, I want to give some of its truths bearing on this important issue:

-- In the New Testament, Paul makes this striking statement: "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me" (Phil. 4:13). But how many people these days are trying to do all things without Christ! This is sad to me, for not only does such a spiritually weakened way of life go against God's will for His children; it deprives us of utilizing the incomparable strength and energy of divine power.

-- One doesn't have to live this way another day. Not when looking to God as the continuous giver of vitality is so energizing. Depending on our heavenly Father, God, is the obedient thing to do. It glorifies Him. And in turn, it empowers us to get so much more done every day.

-- Turning to God as the only creator brings into manifestation the qualities already ours as His spiritual offspring. The result is more physical stamina with which to carry out life's demands, increased zip and zing--in short, a greater expression of God's infinite capacities. The Christian Science textbook, Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures, points out how natural it is for God's creation to express vigor. "All that God imparts moves in accord with Him, reflecting goodness and power," writes Mary Baker Eddy.

--Conforming our thoughts and deeds, day by day, to the Christly model Jesus exemplified will give us more resilience and stamina, more pizazz. The Bible states: "Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness" (Isa. 41:10)

--Because you and I are God's child as Jesus showed, God's reflection, we have continuously within ourselves all the vigor we need. All we have to do is learn to lean on God for it as our Master did.