Sunday, April 19, 2009

In Praise of Flowers

On a lighter note, for any of you readers who are into gardening, want to post a little poem written a couple of years ago inspired by a wonderful truth I had read in Mary Baker Eddy's masterwork, Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures. I came across a most thought-provoking statement she makes on page 508: "The only intelligence or substance of a thought, a seed, or a flower is God, the creator of it." Couldn't stop thinking about the profundity of this (naturally it's profound!) and realized it could be applied to planting flowers. Since coming down south where flower-growing is all pervasive, have gotten into this pastime, with great joy and satisfaction. Therefore herewith in hopes it gives a lift to fellow flower lovers and planters. The teachings of Christian Science are so practical, I am finding, and can be applied to just about every area of human endeavor. To all areas, I guess I should say.



"Talking to my flowers"


(c) By: Sharon Slaton Howell



"How do you grow such flowers?"

My neighbors would ask.

I used to say, "feeding and watering?"

Lest they think I'm a bit odd.

But now I come right out and say,

"I talk to them,

Tell them how pretty they look,

How well they're doing."

After all, don't you like a little praise

Every now and then?

But in the final analysis,

It is truly feeling that

It is God Himself who is

The substance of a flower.*




*Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures,
p. 508, by Mary Baker Eddy