Sunday, March 11, 2018

The Unreality of Inharmony

       The teachings of Christian Science have helped me in so many ways, certainly as to health.  But showing me the unreality of inharmony in daily life is right up there in blessings  In a minute I'll relate one such experience that showed me what Mary Baker Eddy points out in Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures:  "The opposite discord which bears no resemblance to spirituality is not real."

        When past discordant situations, whether they seemed to occur last week or years ago, tend to flood thought, knowing that God is the only cause, that He doesn't cause evil to befall us, that He indeed knows nothing about it and doesn't see His child going through disturbing experiences, these divine facts always restore a sense of harmony. Such experiences are no more than events going on in the waking dream of life in matter, and they have only the power over us we give them.  They fade from thought when we see that they never were real.

        Someone reading this might say, "But that bad thing did happen to me, and I just can't get past it."  No it didn't, and yes you can.

        When we were living in Boston, I was in my practitioner's office downtown one day when a friend I had often helped in Christian Science called to ask if she could come for a visit.  This very nice lady came in and almost at once began acting, shall we say, in a very alarming manner.  She was upset over something and began taking it out on me.  Angry words followed.  To say I was shocked puts it mildly.  This went on for a time and I began to get worried being alone with  her in my office. She seemed about out of control.  I was quietly knowing God was with us both and soon she left.  I sat there really denying that any of this inharmony had touched her or me.  

        It wasn't long before she telephoned, apologized and asked if I could stop  by her condo in Wellesley which was on my way home.  I did and all was made up as though it had never happened. 

        Science and Health has these words which have helped me in my daily comings and goings :  "Harmony is produced by its Principle, is controlled by it, and abides with it". And in the same paragraph on page 304:  "Man's happiness is not, therefore, at the disposal of physical sense."

        They can help you, too, see the unreality of inharmony.