Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Healings Far and Wide

       


        Thinking this afternoon about how many of us owe much to the woman who discovered and founded Christian Science, Mary Baker Eddy.  The men, women and children around the world that have benefitted from what she revealed of divine truths! 

        And in thanking God for giving Mrs. Eddy what He did, my thoughts went to a dear friend of ours from Australia who shared a marvelous healing of malaria contracted during WWII.  Paul Jones was sent home from the jungle to convalesce and though it looked grim for a while, he told us, his complete healing did come.  A Christian Science Chaplain gave him prayerful treatment, for which our friend was ever after grateful.

        A poet and sculptor, Paul sent us the following poem written just after the war which I'd like to share with my readers.


FATHER I AM BACK


I'm back.
I've been away at wars
but never without You
to guide and protect me.

Desert, dark jungle,
strife packed beach,
torrential river,
You were there.
Arid sand, sunless track,
safe landing or embarking,
engulfing, swollen stream,
claimed I was on my own.
Yet deep down
I knew that
You were always there.

And now I'm back,
back to rest in Your garden,
to gave on its loveliness,
its blossoms of promise,
it's awakening flowers
Your unfolding purpose
for my brother and me,
just as You always open
"the petals of a holy purpose
in order that
the purpose may appear" (1)

Father, now I know it was a dream,
I was never really away from You.
My 'returned' medal
of no real significance.
Just as You told my brother
"Son, you are always with me,
and all that is mine is yours." (2)

Father I am back.


                               (l) Mary Baker Eddy
                               (2)  Luke 15:31