Thursday, May 1, 2014

Our Father's Preserving Care



                                                             John Robert Howell



        (With the recent storms here in the South, have been thinking about this subject, and feel these Bible verses will offer comfort to readers.)



        Psalm 40:11   "...O Lord:  let thy lovingkindness and thy truth continually preserve me."  This from New Living Translation, "Lord, don't hold back your tender mercies from me./Let your unfailing love and faithfulness always protect me."


        Jeremiah 31:3, the last phase of which reads "...therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn the.."  NLT has:  With unfailing love I have drawn you to myself."  English Standard Version has:  "...therefore I have continued my faithfulness to you."


        Psalm 121:8:  "The Lord shall preserve thy going out and thy coming in from this time forth, and even for evermore."  NLT has:  "The Lord keeps watch over you as you come and go, both now and forever." Holman Christian Standard Bible has:  "The Lord will protect your coming and going/both now and forever. ESV preserves the King James version.


        Psalm 116:6 says "The Lord preserveth the simple:  I was brought low, and he helped me."  NLT has:  The Lord protects those of childlike faith;/I was facing death, and he saved me."  New International Version has:  "The Lord protects the unwary;/when I was brought low, he saved me:  The "NIV Study Bible" has this note on the verse:  "unwary.  Those who are childlike in their sense of dependence on and trust in the Lord." Part of that note reads:  "the simple:  The childlike, those whose understanding and judgment have not yet matured..."