Sunday, May 12, 2013

Just thinking...




...about a conversation I had earlier today with someone we knew when we lived in Boston and would have dinner with occasionally. We moved to Tennessee, this couple moved to Michigan, so we were in touch only now and then.  But her phone call brought the news that her husband had passed on recently.

At the close of our conversation, our friend made a comment that caused me to ponder the subject of peace, and where it is we find peace.  She said, "I only hope he now has the peace he so long sought."  She is not of my faith, and perhaps of no faith at all.  I don't know.  But her words brought to my thought two statements which I want to share with any reader likewise seeking a greater sense of peace.

First, the Bible recommends:  "Acquaint now thyself with him, and be at peace: thereby good shall come unto thee."  (Job 22:21)

And Christ Jesus assured us:  "My peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you:  (John 14:27

Becoming acquainted with God, learning more about Him and His wonderful love and power and ever-presence is certain to bring one sense of peace.  And the same with Jesus.  To believe what the Master taught, to be loving his teachings and living in accord with them, brings into any person's life ever-deepening peace --  as Paul put, "peace that passeth all understanding."  (Philippians 4:7).

We can count on this happening, and what a comforting thought this is.